The alleged massacre took place on market day in Hombori municipality, in the central region of Douentza, after a Mali military convoy hit an improvised explosive device.
At least 50 civilians were killed
during a military operation conducted by Mali’s army and
foreign troops on April 19, the United Nations has said in a
The alleged April massacre took place on market day in Hombori municipality, in the central region of Douentza, after a Mali military convoy hit an improvised explosive device, the UN report said on Wednesday.
The massacre victims included a woman and a child, the UN’s peacekeeping mission MINUSMA said in the quarterly report on human rights violations in the violence-hit West African country.
It did not specify the nationality of the foreign military personnel accompanying local troops.
Some 500 people were briefly detained during the military operation prompted by the explosion, but most were later freed.
Days later, a single Malian soldier allegedly executed 20 of the 27 civilians still held at the military camp in Hombori, according to the UN.
Mali’s military spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Authorities have previously denied accusations that soldiers tortured civilians held in Hombori, the report said.
High civilian death toll
The UN has repeatedly accused Malian soldiers of summarily
executing civilians and suspected militants over the course of
their decade-long fight against groups linked to Al Qaeda and Daesh.
Mali’s military government, which took power in a 2020 coup,
has been battling armed groups with the help of private
military contractors belonging to Russia’s Wagner group.
MINUSMA’s Tuesday report documented 317 civilian deaths
between April 1 and June 30, 42 percent lower than the 543
registered during the first quarter of 2022.
While armed groups carry out most of the abuses, Malian
defence and security forces were responsible for just over a
quarter of violent acts against civilians recorded during that
period, according to the report.
Mali’s military has in some cases acknowledged its forces
were implicated in executions and other abuses. But few soldiers
have faced criminal charges.
Authorities have banned UN investigators from a site where
Malian troops and suspected Russian fighters allegedly executed
around 300 civilian men during a military operation in March.
Both Mali and Russia have previously said the Wagner group is not made of mercenaries but trainers helping local troops with equipment bought from Russia.
Suspected Daesh attack kills dozens of Mali soldiers